Wednesday, September 3, 2008

School Days

I miss school...not that I was the most popular girl around, nor did I excel in studies or sports. Infact what best describes me during my school days is 'average'...I was average looking, average in academics (and to be honest, way way below average in math and geography, something which even today I deplore of), had an average amount of popularity amongst my peers (I used to get the most amazing goodies for lunch after all!!!) but I had more than average share of fun that's for sure!!!

Sneaking out with friends to the terrace where 5 or 6 of us would jostle over one forbidden can of beer (mom, if you are reading this please don't get mad!!!), eating spicy 'phhuchkas' till our eyes watered and our tongues went numb, bunking classes and going into the garden where we had our own 'private' spot- a small alcove behind the school gymnasium, those long long walks leading to nowhere; talking about things that seemed 'oh so important' to us: exams, boys, clothes, movies, boys, the latest food joint and you guessed it boys again!!! (hey! we did study in an all girls school so they were quite the unexplored territory so to speak!). School days were a fun-filled melange of living in the moment and having very distant dreams about what the future held for us.

I had no obligations, no need to worry my head over who would pay the bills, didnt have to wrack my head over what to cook for dinner, most of all didnt have the hugely frightening responsibility of taking care of a whole living breathing human being- my baby. But then when I look at her sleeping peacefully in my DH's arms, her head on his chest and his chin resting on her head...I know that this is my world now and I couldnt be happier. School days were fun no doubt but it's best left in the past...this is my now and my future and it's everything I could have hoped for.

As they say "The past is history, the future is a mystery, but today is a gift that's why they call it the present"...

1 comment:

o6foyuvhjb said...

A wonderful quote, and it's very true!

Kung Fu Panda had it right in that aspect.
They said it in the movie if you're confused by that statement!

Thankfully, I am still in my school days, and I am very fearful of the impending increase of responsibilities.

But we must all grow up, for our future (or present) children.